Senior Researcher - Yearly Grant Funded
- Job Title: Senior Researcher - Yearly Grant Funded
- Department: Sustainability Institute
- Job Posted On: 05/02/2014
- Job Type: Full Time
- Job Status: Permanent
- Search Type: Global Search
- Job Post ID: 12637
The Sustainability Institute at the College of New Jersey is a "think and do" tank that manages a number of cutting edge research and outreach programs focused on sustainable development, including the award winning Sustainable Jersey Certification Program and numerous federal and state grant-funded projects. Our mission is to advance sustainable development through research, outreach, and training. We work with local, state, and federal government, as well as the private sector, to help decision makers develop better capacity to understand the long term consequences of their actions, and develop and deploy best practices in a number of policy areas including land use, energy, green infrastructure, among others.
The Sustainability Institute at the College of New Jersey seeks a talented and motivated person to join our team as a senior researcher.
The Senior Researcher will report to the Co-Director of the Institute, and will be responsible for implementing high profile research and policy development projects in coordination with expert and stakeholder advisory committees. Responsibilities include:
* Shaping and implementing significant research projects that advance our understanding of key sustainability issues and effective local responses
* Leading an effort to identify and describe sustainability conditions in New Jersey and develop indicators and targets that can be used to track progress, and measure the performance of communities relative to sustainability
* Conducting program evaluation research utilizing qualitative and quantitative methods, and quantify program impacts.
* Contributing research and analysis as needed to a varied portfolio of ongoing projects, working with other staff, external experts, and students.
* Interfacing with external project participants including expert Task Forces, project partners, and pilot program participants, as needed to advance projects.
The position requires an advanced degree (masters or doctorate) in planning, public policy, economics, environmental science, or other relevant discipline and at least 4 years of relevant professional experience. Specific experience with common sustainable development issues, ability to manipulate and present data, and strong library and literature research skills are required. A successful candidate will have ability to assess environmental issues rooted in the natural sciences, but be comfortable with social science research methods. Other desirable skills include program evaluation, quantification of program impact, statistical analysis, and familiarity with the use of metrics, targets, and time tables in policy making.
The salary is $55,000-$70,000 based on experience, and comes with a benefits package.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send a resume, letter of interest, writing samples demonstrating research and communication skills and three references with complete contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org References will not be contacted without the candidate's prior knowledge and consent. Applicants will be prompted to and are required to complete an Application for Employment upon receipt of resume.
Applications will be considered through May 26, 2014. Resumes received after that date will only be considered if a suitable applicant has not been identified. Final offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
To enrich education through diversity, The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.