Digital and Lens Based Media Specialist
TCNJ Center for the Arts
- Job Title: Digital and Lens Based Media Specialist
- Department: TCNJ Center for the Arts
- Job Posted On: 05/14/2014
- Job Type: Full Time
- Job Status: Permanent
- Search Type: Global Search
- Job Post ID: 12645
TCNJ Center for the Arts at the College of New Jersey invites applications for a Digital and Lens Based Media Specialist supporting lens based art and interactive multimedia. The Digital and Lens Based Media Specialit reports directly to the Director of Media Outreach, works with the chairs of the Departments of Art and Art History and Interactive Multimedia, and is responsible for providing hardware and software support to faculty, students, and resources for lens based arts and interactive multimedia, in accordance with established academic and operational policies and procedures.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
* Provide software support to Arts academic programs using software applications. Plans for upgrades, implements changes, and coordinates training workshops as needed to support academic and administrative operations.
* Hires, trains, schedules, mentors and supervises student assistants in support of maintenance and distribution of computer and lens based equipment inventory. Duties include equipment procurement, distribution, collection, tracking and repair, and database system management.
* Works with IT Staff and Student lab assistants to implement and maintain effective software support for AIMM computer labs, and curricular needs.
* Coordinates and supervises operations in and support for Photo/Darkroom, Lighting Studio, and U-Lab facilities and equipment in the AIMM building. Duties include oversight, maintenance, training, equipment and supplies procurement, and upgrade recommendation.
* Bachelor's degree in digital media, lens based media, or a related field.
* Two (2) years of professional experience in education, higher education, or other field related to the functions of the position. Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute experience on a year for year basis. A Master's degree may be substituted for one 1) year of the required experience.
* Demonstrated experience in staff training, supervision and mentorship.
* Experience and ability to use, train and troubleshoot use of photo equipment, multimedia hardware and software used in advanced digital media productions and projects.
* Ability to function independently with minimal guidance and supervision.
* Excellent writing and communication skills, including proven ability to prepare and present clear and concise reports to department chairs and management.
* Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and Premier; Autodesk Maya and 3D Studio Max; Apple Logic and Final Cut Pro; and Microsoft Office applications.
* Three or more years of related media production and support experience.
* Demonstrated experience supporting projects and serving clients with expert use of cutting edge innovative and interactive technologies, including multi-surface projection, multimedia synchronization, digital image manipulation, audio and video editing, midi control and animation.
* Working knowledge of new media technologies and equipment including 3D printing, animation, gaming platforms, and app development platforms.
* Experience with traditional media equipment and production including darkroom photography and lighting studio techniques.
This position is a classified position with the state title Professional Services Specialist 3(A), Range 21. It is aligned with the Communications Workers of America (CWA) bargaining unit. The starting salary is $50,643.69. Permanent appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a 4-month probationary period to assess the ability to perform the essential functions of the position. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and prescription, as well as generous sick and vacation leave.
Applicants should forward their cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. . Applications will be accepted until June 11, 2014. Applications received after that date will only be accepted if a suitable candidate has not been identified. Applicants will be required to complete an Application for Employment upon receipt of resume. Final offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
Under a new residency bill signed into law by Governor Chris Christie, any individual hired on, or after September 1, 2011, will be required to establish a principal residence in New Jersey unless their position is exempt. New employees will have a full 365 days to establish such residence, from the effective date of hire. Any new employee who believes that they have a critical need to live outside of New Jersey, or that a move to a permanent residence within the state would constitute a hardship, may request an exemption from the provisions of the law by appealing to a five-member committee to be established by the State for the purpose of hearing such appeals.
Founded in 1855, TCNJ is a highly selective public institution that has earned national recognition for its commitment to excellence. TCNJ emphasizes the undergraduate residential experience and offers targeted graduate programs. The College's seven schools - The Arts and Communication; Business; Humanities and Social Sciences; Education; Science; Nursing, Health, and Exercise Science; and Engineering - offer degrees to nearly 6,800 students. The College's distinguished faculty of 348 full-time members provides a 13 to 1 student to faculty ratio, and eighty-five percent of classes have enrollments of 30 or fewer. TCNJ's picturesque campus is located on 289 tree-lined acres in suburban Ewing, approximately five miles from New Jersey's state capital of Trenton, and 60 minutes from both Philadelphia and New York City. A 95 percent freshman to sophomore retention rate and a six-year graduation rate of 86 percent speak to the quality of the TCNJ experience.
To enrich education through diversity, The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.